How to make Desi Ghee from Malai at home?
By Shambhavi Singh Created on : May 26, 2021
Ghee has the goodness of pure milk and cream. Home-made ghee is a must in all Indian kitchens. So learning how to make desi ghee from malai at home is important for all of us.
Ghee is one of the most versatile ingredients used in the Indian kitchen. In English ghee is called clarified butter. It is popularly known as desi ghee. Clarified butter and ghee is not exactly the same.
You can make tasty ghee rice with this homemade ghee.
The only difference between ghee and clarified butter is that ghee is cooked until the milk solids are slightly browned which adds a nutty flavor to the ghee.
If since years, you have watched your mother make desi ghee at home from malai, but you really are not aware of the process. And this time the responsibility is on you, then don’t worry. Because I am here for your rescue.
You just need to follow some simple steps that I have listed below to make desi ghee from malai.
Learning how to make desi ghee from malai at home.The purity of mother’s love.
- Desi Ghee helps reduce weight.
- It is also beneficial for people who are lactose intolerant.
- Desi Ghee is also believed to be a skin healer in Ayurveda.
- Desi Ghee is rich in vitamins like A, D, E, and K.
- It helps in reducing inflammation.
Course: Homemade ingredient
Servings: 300 grams
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE DESI GHEE AT HOME FROM MALAI
|Ice cold water||3 tablespoon or as required|
|Milk cream||1 kg|
Instructions to make Ghee from Malai at home
- The first step towards making desi ghee from malai at home is by collecting cream.
- Start by adding 2 tablespoons of yogurt in a large utensil and keep collecting cream over 8 to 10 days from boiled and cooled milk. Keep the utensil in refrigerator else it will get spoiled.
- The second process is Churning or Making butter (makhan).
- To churn I use traditional mathani (wooden whisk) or spoon but you can use food processor to churn it. Put mathani in cream utensil and start rolling in between your palm.
- Whisk for 2 – 3 minutes. Add 2-3 tablespoon ice-cold water and keep on churning. Use more waterif required. Cold water helps to separate butterfat from buttermilk.
- After 8 to 10 minutes of churning you will notice that butter globules are separating from the fluid part. Keep on churning and all butter globules starts floating on the top layer. The fluid part is butter milk.
- You can see the granular butter globules.
- Separate it from butter milk and collect it in another utensil.
- Press butter with your fingers to expell buttermilk. It will release butter milk. Do it for around 5-7 minutes.
- Now butter globules and butter milk is separated. You can use this butter milk in preparing different recipes. The buttermilk can be used to make bread or as a thirst-quenching drink.
Preparing Desi ghee
- Put the butter globules utensil on low heat. Let the butter melt. High heat will burn the Makhan resulting in a bitter taste.
2. As butter (Makhan) is melting down, the foam will start to form. Stir in to mix foam into butter. Simmer it on low heat.
3. After 20 minutes of slow cooking foam will settle down and all moisture will evaporate. You will see that ghee has become golden and milk granules sink at the bottom. Increase heat to medium and boil ghee for 3-4 minutes. Ghee will change color to golden brown and milk granules will turn dark brown.
4. Let the ghee cool for 10 minutes. Filter ghee in a fresh and dried container using a muslin cloth or strainer. Ghee is ready to use.
You can use this ghee up to 8 to 10 months.
After cooling down ghee solidifies.
The sanctity of Desi Ghee!The freshness of this home prepared Desi Ghee is wonderful.
Use full fat cream to make desi ghee at home from malai.
The cream must be cold before you are going to churn it.
pure milk and cream