Sambhar Vada or Medu Vada / Uzhunnu Vada Recipe | How to make Sambhar Vada?
By Shambhavi Singh Created on : May 29, 2021
Sambhar Vada or Medu Vada / Uzhunnu Vada Recipe | How to make Sambhar Vada? This dish is a south Indian breakfast. This sambhar vada is a very nutritious and healthy breakfast for people of all ages. It has south Indian flavors which make it rich and wonderful.
Or otherwise try strawberry short cake which will burst your mouth with emotions.
You can serve this as a healthy meal to members of your family. You can easily use the sambhar for any other dish like idli, dosa, etc. These are easy and simple steps to make sambhar vada or sambhar vadai instantly at home.
This Sambhar Vada or Medhu Vada is very easy to make at home. And you can learn how to make Sambhar vada/ Medhu Vada/ Uzhunnu Vada at home without any past experience.
You have the magic wand in your hand. Because I am here, your cookery expert. You can make this appetizing meal at your home with some simple ingredients. Sambhar Vada Recipe is a must try.
Darling, why worry when your best cookery expert is here? I love you and have the best tips and tricks for you. These recipe hacks will work for you in the best way.
Different people from different parts of the world call it by different names including, sambhar vada, sambhar vadai, medu vada, or uzhunnu vada.
What is Sambhar Vada or Medu Vada?
Medu vada is a South Indian fritter made from Vigna mungo. It is usually made in a doughnut shape, with a crispy exterior and soft interior. A popular food item in South Indian and Sri Lankan Tamil cuisines, it is generally eaten as a breakfast or a snack.
What are the Main Ingredients of Uzhunnu Vada?
The main ingredients of sambhar vada/ uzhunnu vada/ sambhar vadai or medu vada are urad dal or split black gram and rice. This is a very loved and popular dish all over India.
Be it North India or South India, this dish recieves equal amount of love across India.
Ingredients For Making Sambhar Vada Recipe or Medu Vada
|Urad dal||200 grams|
|Onion (chopped)||1 cup|
|Cumin seed||1/2 tea spoon|
|Pepper powder(for taste)||1 tea spoon|
|Hing||1/4 tea spoon|
|Salt||As per taste|
|Curry leaves(chopped)||1 spring|
|Yellow Pumpkin Chopped||2 Cups|
|Toor Dal (Pigeon pea)||⅓ Cup|
|Moong dal||¼ Cup|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ tsp|
|Tamarind||1 Lemon Size|
|Shallots / Baby Onions||1 Cup|
|Salt||2 tsp or As Needed|
|Coriander Leaves||2 tbsp|
|Coriander seeds||2 tbsp|
|Split Bengal Gram (Channa Dal / Kadalaparuppu)||2 tbsp|
|Fenugreek seeds||½ tsp|
|Cumin Seeds||½ tsp|
|Shallots / Baby Onions||5-6|
|Mustard seeds||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||Few pieces|
FOR GARNISHING SAMBAR VADA
|Coriander Leaves Finely Chopped||2 tbsp|
|Onion Finely Chopped||2 tbsp|
Simple Uzhunnu Vada Recipe At Home Instructions
- Soak urad dal for 6 hours or overnight.
2. The soaked urad dal after 6 hours will look like this.
3. You would have to strain this and remove the water. You can do this through a strainer or cloth.
4. Now take a blender and add the soaked urad dal in a blender. Blend it into a coarse paste.
5. The coarse blended paste would look like this.
6. Take a Drying pan add oil to it, let it heat. In a bowl add the blended urad dal, hing, pepper, curry leaves, cumin seeds, salt as per taste. And mix all these ingredients and beat it well.
7. Now add onions mix it and make a dumpling.
8. Make a hole in it. And dip it in a rice flour bowl so that it stops sticking and can be fried easily.
9. And finally add in hot oil and fry it until it takes on a golden brown color.
Steps For Making The Sambhar
Cooking Dal And Tomato
- Add a tomato and toor dal to the pressure cooker. But remember to soak this toor dal beforehand and wash it before putting it into the pressure cooker.
2. Add turmeric powder and water in the toor dal and tomato.
3. Now pressure cook the mixture for 4 whistles.
- Soak Tamarind in warm water for about 10 mins and extract the juice. Keep this aside
PREPARING GRINDING INGREDIENTS
- Heat oil in a pan. Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chili, and fry till they turn light brown.
2. Next, add the chopped onions and saute for a minute.
3. Make sure to add your already prepared tamarind juice to this.
4. Now you have to add your already-pressure cooked tur dal and tomato. But make sure to crush the dal and the tomato using a spoon or spatula.
- Stir the mixture well and don’t allow clumps to form.
- Add water as required.
- Allow the mixture to boil.
- Add 2 teaspoons of ghee and salt as per taste. Stir well and properly.
- Now your tasty sambhar is ready to be served.
- And now you can easily dip your medhu vada in your sambhar.
So, it is time to enjoy your tasty sambhar vada recipe.
Sambhar Vada Recipe – Taste the royal flavours of South India.Royalty and goodness of Sambhar Vada.
This royal south Indian dish with its royal flavors is a burst of emotions and love. So taste it once and love it forever. Sambhar Vada Recipe is a very popular and tasty dish.
I hope you enjoyed the cooking journey of Sambhar Vada Recipe with me. So share the recipe with your friends and family. And darling stay tuned for more such instant home made recipe updates.