Chicken lollipop is a hot and spicy appetizer made with drummettes or whole chicken wings. This is a fusion of Indo-Chinese style recipe. Chicken lollipop is great to enjoy as an appetizer and is a great addition to your party menu. However, it goes amazingly with Chinese noodles or fried rice.
If you are a beginner and have never handled meat before I would suggest you try this recipe with drummettes first. These are the starting portion of the whole chicken wings and are comparatively easy to french.
Preparation of chicken lollipop:
Cooking time: 2 hours
For 4 servings
• 6 full-size chicken wings
• 2 cups oil, for frying (500 mL)
• 2 teaspoons chilli powder • 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste • 1 teaspoon pepper • 1 teaspoon salt • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• ½ cup flour (60 g) • ½ cup cornflour also called cornstarch (60g) • 1 tablespoon chilli powder • 1 egg (slightly beaten) • ¼ cup water (60 mL)
• spring onions • green coriander leaves • onion juliennes
1. Add all the marinade ingredients to a bowl and mix until fully combined, set aside.
2. Slice a full-size chicken wing into three parts along the joints. Discard the wing-tip.
3. For the drummet (the upper, meaty, one-bone part of the wing), cut along the circumference of the thin end so that the bone and the meat are no longer connected. Then push down the meat so the drummet becomes a lollipop.
4. For the winglet (the middle, two-bone part of the wing), separate where the two bones join, and also cut along the circumferences of both ends, so the bone and the meat are no longer connected. Take out the thinner bone, and push down the meat into one end of the thinner bone.
5. Dip the prepared chicken lollipops in the marinade and cover them completely. Marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
6. Now, for the batter mix all the ingredients until smooth without lumps.
7. Dip the meat end of the chicken lollipops into the batter.
8. Now for frying the chicken lollipops take medium-sized pot, heat the oil to 170˚C (340˚F). Deep fry the chicken for 5 minutes or until the batter becomes golden brown and the chicken is cooked throughout. Drain on absorbent paper.
9. Your tasty chicken lollipops are ready to serve! You can serve it with any kind of sauce or chutney of your choice.
10. Repeat the same steps for making more chicken lollipops.
> EXTRA TIP (Chicken lollipop is great to enjoy as an appetizer and is a great addition to your party menu.):
* Make them in advance*
You can also prepare and store them beforehand by frying them once and storing them for a couple of hours. When ready to serve, heat the oil quickly fry the lollipops for the second time for just a minute. This will ensure that your lollipop has got that super crispy coating and you’ll have hot chicken lollipops ready to go.
> HEALTH TIP:
If you are the one who doesn’t prefer frying as you find it unhealthy and as the marinated chicken is usually deep fried in oil, then another well-known choice includes baking. The exposed bone is sometimes wrapped in aluminum foil.
To make your chicken lollipop absolutely lip-smacking:
You must note that all the magic in this recipe lies in the batter. The chicken lollipops are first marinated for about an hour. And then dipped into a batter made with corn flour, all purpose flour and rice flour for adding that extra crisp, so be exceptionally attentive and careful while making the batter.
To make the process a little easy:
You might be thinking that it seems a lot of work to first trim the chicken and then marinating it. So here’s the solution, you can buy them ready from the store as they are easily available.
Also, once it’s done it’s super convenient to eat them, and also chicken lollipops are found to be kid-friendly as kids love eating things they can easily hold and bite. And you can reduce the spice accordingly to make these for your little chimps.
And if you are comfortable, you can even make a big batch and deep-freeze it. It becomes so handy when you store it!
Stay safe and enjoy home cooked food!