Shahi Paneer Recipe in NISHA MADHULIKA Style
By Varsha Tejwani Created on : January 2, 2021
Short on time? No problem! This Shahi Paneer, all in one dinner comes together in less than 25 minutes and is sure to satisfy the whole family!
Whenever a guest is coming at your home or there is a birthday party at home shahi paneer fits well for all the occasions. It adds up to the celebration with its creamy texture and combination of treasury spices. It serves best with naan. roti, or simply rice to complete a fantastic dinner meal.
How Popular SHAHI PANEER is?
The first word of the name suggests ‘shahi’ which means royal. This royal dish is prepared with onions, cashew paste and heavy cream with variety of spices and really easy to make at home. It basically form a creamy curry texture in which cubes of diced paneer are and added served in a traditional way with naan or rice. Its different from kadai paneer and paneer butter masala. It can be made with a wide variety of options which includes spicy gravy, dry variant and a creamy sauce. One such easy, simple and rich creamy based sauce curry is the shahi paneer masala known for its mild and sweet taste.
Difference between Shahi Paneer And Kadai Paneer?
Shahi paneer recipe is spicier as compared to Kadai paneer. Whereas the shahi paneer is more creamier and rich that is why shahi paneer in Nisha madhulika style is prepared with choice of dry nuts like cashew and almonds without tomatoes in it. And as in kadai paneer dry fruit paste doesn’t hold much importance.
HOW TO MAKE SHAHI PANEER NISHA MADHULIKA STYLE?
|200 gms paneer (roughly 1.5 cups)|
|2 medium sized tomatoes|
|1/4 cup fresh cream|
|a generous pinch of kasoori methi|
|a tiny pinch of cardamom powder (optional)|
|1 tsp red chilli powder|
|1/2 tsp coriander powder|
|1/4 tsp garam masala powder|
STEP WISE RECIPE OF SHAHI PANEER (NISHA MADHULIKA STYLE)
Chop onions lengthwise,peel garlic and keep other ingredients ready.Boil water.
When it starts to boil add the ingredients listed under to grind. Boil for a minute and switch off.
Let it boil for 2 minutes in low flame.
Cool down then transfer it to a mixer jar and grind it to a fine paste.Cube the paneer and set aside.
Chop tomatoes roughly and transfer to mixer jar and puree it.
Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it crackle then add tomato puree.
Let it boil in low flame for 2 minutes then add all the spice powders along with required salt.
Cook until the mixture is dry and the raw smell of tomatoes goes.Now add cashew onion paste.
Mix well,cook for a minute the mixture will be thickish, now add fresh cream.
Add cardamom powder along with required water.
Let the gravy boil for 5mins in low flame.
Add paneer cubes along with kasoori methi,mix well cook for 2mins then switch off.
HOW TO MAKE SHAHI PANEER IN WHITE GRAVY?
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add whole spices and fry for 30-45 seconds.
Add ginger paste, garlic paste and slit green chilies, saute for few seconds.
Mix in onion paste and salt. Cook it till all the moisture evaporates and it starts to leave the sides of the pan.
Add prepared cashew nut paste. Stir well.
Add yogurt and immediately mix well. If required add little water for gravy consistency and let come to a simmer.
Add garam masala and cardamom powder. Mix well.
Add paneer pieces and stir very gently.
Add cream-saffron mixture. Mix and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
Turn off the stove.
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT SHAHI PANEER
- Add nicely beaten curd and also add it to the pan by removing it from the flame to avoid curdling. From then onwards boil the gravy on low flame.
- Do not miss the addition of paneer while grinding the cashew nuts , this really adds the richness and taste to the gravy and also you can avoid cream and add some milk instead to the gravy.
- I love to cut the paneer pieces into squares for this gravy, you can cut them in cubes, triangles etc like the way you want.
- I avoided turmeric powder adding to the gravy as the ginger-garlic paste already had enough turmeric in it.
- Shahi Paneer is not a red colored based gravy. As we do not add more tomatoes and red chili powder to the gravy and also the addition of cream, cashew nut paste and milk at the end ensures that the gravy would be slightly whitish in color.
- Add cardamom powder at the end to retain the flavor of it in the gravy.
- You can even mash the paneer and add instead of grinding it but I prefer to grind it to get a smooth texture,You can do either ways.